Monday 28 November 2011

Christmas is Coming, the geese are getting fat

When I was about 7 Santa delivered an album of Christmas carols. I believe the vinyl might still be at my parents' place. One of the carols on there I had never heard of at the time, but oddly enough, it is the one song that has stuck in my head the most. Apparently it is a nursery rhyme too. It goes:
Christmas is coming, the geese are getting fat
Please put a penny in the old man's hat
If you haven't got a penny, a ha'penny will do
If you haven't got a ha'penny, then God bless you!
Well folks, Christmas is coming. I planned to start planning about 4 weeks ago, but time doesn't stand still, and I have not gotten to it yet. So, I shall start planning now. Beyond the basic Christmas things that need to be done (presents bought and wrapped, cards written and sent, etc) I am trying to improve on my ability to make the season festive and magical.

I want to make sure Christmas is magical. I have the standard traditional things that we do (milk and cookies for Santa, glitter dust for where he and the reindeer have been), and there are some things I am just not into but others do so well (Christmas lights - not on the agenda yet).

Decoration-wise this is my inspiration:

Lots of paper chains and paper snowflakes, but I love the effect. For those who haven't figured it out it is from the movie "Elf", a totally hilarious Christmas movie. We've already started watching it this Christmas season.

So to get started I will be doing the following:

1. White tissue paper pom poms (for instructions visit Martha Steward here) but I will be posting mine tomorrow.

Picture source found here
2. Paper snowflakes:

Image removed
3. A paper star which I plan to go on the top of my Christmas Card tree (instructions in a few days)
From cut out and keep here
4. And few more items for inspiration:
From Home By Linn (in Norwegian but there are pictures or you can click the google translate button)


...and just because I love doilies so much... this is from the happy home blog.


Fingers crossed I get my rear end into gear and get this done. Stay posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for popping by, I love to hear from you.